The Delaware Township Police Department began on May 1, 1924. John Branin was appointed as the first police officer. Officer Branin served as a police officer until the fall of that year when he was appointed as the Department's first chief. There were 5 additional officers named to serve under him.
On December 27, 1937, the Delaware Township council formally established the Delaware Township Police Department by ordinance. The Township and the Police Department were known as Delaware Township until December 6, 1961 when the township officially changed its name to Cherry Hill Township.
As Cherry Hill Township grew over the years and changed from a rural farming community to a bustling suburban community with busy shopping malls, retail centers, industrial centers, hotels and corporate parks the population grew from approximately 10,000 people to over 71,000.